Christ the King Church had it’s start in the 1880's as a mission outpost of the Holy Family Parish in Pu‘unene Maui. Then in 1924 Mrs. Anne Enomoto requested from Mr Frank Baldwin (manager, Kahului Railroad Company and Hawaiian Cane and Sugar) to have some land in Kahului to build a church. The first site offered by Mr Baldwin was in the area where the Maui Beach Hotel stands today. Fearing the possibility of being hit by a tsunami, Father Bartholemew Bax, SS, CC requested a site that is a bit more inland.

So for $1, Father Bax agreed to purchase the land where the church and school sits today from HC&S in 1931.  HC&S laborers started the construction of the church in early 1932 and was completed by October of that same year.  Bishop Stephen Alancastre then blessed the church during the Feast of Christ the King on October 31, 1932. </p>

In 1956, the first wing of the school was built, and shortly after that the second wing and the hall was built.  In 1963 Christ the King School graduated it's first class of students.  Unfortunately, because of economic conditions the school was closed in the early 2000s but maintained it's Childhood Development Center for pre-school aged childredn</p>

As Kahului continued to grow so did the church.  In the late 1970s the church was expanded to accommodate the growing population. Then in 2007 Christ the King Celebrated its 75th Anniversary (Its Diamond Celebration).

Here, Bishop Oscar Solis of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles blesses the time capsule containing items from the first 75 years of the church and school.

Newspaper articles of the 75th Anniversary celebration

Newspaper articles of the 75th Anniversary celebration